Adderall is a well-known prescription medication used in treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The drug is common to increase a patient's capacity to pay attention, enhance focusing ability, and control behavioral problems.
Since Adderall is both a stimulant and amphetamine, the combination drug is powerful and potentially addictive, which explains why most experts recommend using alternatives to minimize ADHD symptoms and improve mental focus.
Besides its high risk of addiction, regular Adderall consumption leads to serious side effects, as listed below.
- Pain when urinating
- Uneven heartbeats
- Tremors and twitching muscles
- Increased blood pressure
As can be seen above, this strong prescription medication comes with a host of potentially fatal side effects. And if you must use a drug or natural form of medication to treat ADHD, then you`re probably curious about some of the best alternatives to Adderall.
Luckily, we have got you covered. This systematic review will examine some of the best Adderall alternatives, discussing their basic features, pros, and cons. Ready? Then Let's get right to business.
What Are Nootropics
Discussing Adderall alternatives without mentioning the term nootropics is impossible. Also called study drugs or smart drugs, nootropics provide cognitive enhancements, similar to Adderall, without the adverse effects.
Nootropics is defined as drugs or supplements used to enhance memory and cognitive functions. These drugs come with several benefits, as listed below.
- Enhanced overall cognitive abilities
- Reduction of mental fatigue
- Improved memory and retention
- 9-12 + hours of improved focus
- Reduce symptoms of ADHD
Nootropics have become increasingly popular Adderall alternatives due to their more vital benefits (cognitive). But even more importantly, these drugs are preferred as they are far healthier to consume than Adderall.
Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is a premium nootropic meant to help improve attention, focus, memory, and learning, among other cognitive functions. This over-the-counter medication is the safer alternative to drugs like Adderall and Ritalin as it uses natural ingredients to reduce the symptoms of ADHD.
Due to ingredients NALT (N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine), citicoline, and pine bark extract, Mind Lab Pro balances chemicals in the brain that alleviate the main symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
The Adderall alternative is also known to reduce anxiety attacks. It contains Rhodiola Rosea and Bacopa Monnieri, some of the best ingredients when it comes to relaxing the central nervous system.
Main Ingredients of Mind Lab Pro
The smart drug contains 11 unique ingredients and is one of the best natural alternatives to Adderall. Below is a discussion of some of the main ingredients.
NALT (N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine)
NALT is a useful dopamine precursor that boosts overall dopamine production, thus leading to a good high. By reducing fatigue and stress, NALT helps put a user in the right mental frame, leading to enhanced concentration.
L-theanine is an amino acid derived from flowers that helps relieve stress, protect the brain from plaque buildup and free radicals, and enhance overall focus. The ingredient also helps reduce anxiety and minimize symptoms of ADHD in patients.
This natural adaptogenic herb has powerful cognitive effects. Some of the main advantages of using Rhodiola Rosea as an active ingredient include improved physical performance, increased energy and focus, and finally, a boost in overall moods.
Pine Bark Extract
Due to its rich proanthocyanidins content, pine bark extract works as a powerful antioxidant. Its regular consumption helps prevent cell damage and also minimize ADHD symptoms.
This natural ingredient other benefits include improved memory, improved blood flow, increased focus, and the ability to maintain attention for extended periods.
Bacopa Monnieri is a popular nootropic compound commonly used in traditional medications. And similar to Rhodiola Rosea, this adaptogen helps relieve anxiety and promote mental health.
Impressively, Bacopa Monnieri is known to boost acetylcholine levels, which translates to improved learning and memory retention, making it an excellent nootropic for children.
B Vitamin Blend
Mind Lab Pro has a wealth of B vitamins (B12, B6, and B9) included in different dosages. These vitamins help promote dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin production, thus improving memory retention and overall focus.
Advantages of Mind Lab Pro
- Ideal for reducing anxiety symptoms
- Works well when used for treatment of ADHD symptoms
- Uses 100% natural ingredients, thus making it one of the best natural alternatives to Adderall.
- May be used to boost mental health
- Supplements other drugs for people on diets
- Ideal for boosting focus and energy levels
- 100% legal as its consumption is approved by the National Institute on Drug Abuse and World Anti-Doping Agency.
- Regular consumption leads to increased attention span, especially for school-going children with ADHD.
Cons of Mind Lab Pro
- It may take a few weeks to even a month for the full effects to be noticeable for some people.
- May lead to mood swings, sleep disturbance, and dizziness
Alpha Brain is an Adderall alternative known to improve cognitive ability. Some of its primary functions include improved focus, concentration, and mental speed. The natural alternative to Adderall also helps restore memory and has little to no side-effects, making it a good option for both adults and children.
The natural nootropic works by putting the user in a highly focused and productive state. This is due to herbal extracts and amino acids that supply the CNS with the required nutrition to maintain a high level of performance.
The natural Adderall alternative contains three unique blends that help to minimize the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, as discussed below.
- Flow blend: Promotes maximum cognitive function by producing alpha waves, which support healthy cognitive responses and a user's mental and emotional well-being.
- Focus blend: The focus blend emanates from herbal extracts that increase overall acetylcholine levels, thus protecting the nerve cells. This allows a user to maintain prolonged levels of focus without the need to procrastinate.
- Fuel Blend: This blend is obtained from unique ingredients that promote a healthy nutrient flow to the brain. The fuel blend allows a user to concentrate on study and focus on potentially tricky activities.
Main Ingredients of Alpha Blend
Besides promoting relaxation, L-Theanine is an amino acid that stimulates the release of dopamine and serotonin. The amino acid, together with omega-three fatty acids, helps improve overall concentration, allowing for increased focus and concentration for extended periods.
This water-soluble vitamin is an active ingredient in Alpha Brain that supplements other ingredients to boost moods. In addition to improving mood, vitamin B6 promotes the creation of emotion-friendly neurotransmitters, which help reduce depression symptoms.
Oats Straw Extract
Commonly known as Avena Sativa, Oat straw extract is a unique grass species loved for its highly nutritious seeds. The seeds are rich in manganese, zinc, and iron, which besides promoting overall brain functionality, to reduce anxiety and stress.
Alpha Brain also contains other ingredients like Cat's Claw, Huperzia Serrata, and Bacopa Monieri to improve overall performance. All of Alpha Brain's ingredients are used in their purest form.
Like Ginkgo Biloba, Oat Straw extract helps improve focus and memory retention, similar to most ADHD medications.
Benefits of Alpha Brain
- Available over the counter
- Uses 100% natural, earth-grown ingredients, making it among the top natural alternatives to Adderall
- Taking the drug regularly helps boost memory
- Improves the brain's ability to process data
- Helps a user maintain a high level of productivity
- Usable as an Adderall alternative when it comes to ADHD treatment
- May remain in the system for up to 10+ hours
- Gluten, dairy, caffeine, and stimulant-free, hence safe for long term use by both children and adults
Cons of Alpha Brain
- Only available online
- It may lead to minor side effects like dizziness for some people
- The nootropic may take longer to work and lead to tolerance
- Could do with more ingredients like Ginkgo Biloba to boost memory retention
Modafinil is a powerful Adderall alternative that compares to Adderall in terms of cognitive performance.
Although known to reduce extreme sleepiness due to sleep disorders like narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea, Modafinil can also be used as a prescription medication for ADHD. In addition to improving cognitive abilities, the smart drug is known to enhance overall focus and concentration.
Most scientists attribute Modafinil's effectiveness increasing dopamine neurotransmission and adrenaline levels, thus allowing for improved cognitive performance in the long term.
However, before using this Adderall alternative, you should request your physician to provide treatment advice, especially if your target is to reduce symptoms of ADHD.
Advantages of Modafinil
- Almost as potent as Adderall but without the heightened risk of addiction
- Can help improve focus for up to 12 hours
- Mood booster as it stimulates the production of dopamine
- Enhances the performance of the central nervous system, thereby helping in ADHD treatment.
- Improves resolve while reducing procrastination
- May be used as a risk-free treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Powerful but does not come with potential side-effects like Adderall and Ritalin
- May help to keep users awake despite fatigue buildup
- Increased concentration, alertness, and attention
Disadvantages of Modafinil
- May lead to reduced appetite, thus translating to weight loss over time
- May lead to side effects like dizziness, irritability, and headaches
- May impact sleep if taken too late at night, thereby causing insomnia
- Not the best medication for children with ADHD
Performance Lab Mind
As indicated on the official website, Performance Lab Mind is a revolutionary, ultramodern nootropic that stands out due to its stimulant-free formula.
Like most natural Adderall alternatives, Performance Lab Mind focuses more on preventing burnout by boosting overall energy. It also improves general motivation, focus, speed, and memory retention, making it a great option if you are looking to recover from cognitive exertion.
Consuming one or two Performance Lab Mind tablets allows you to operate at optimal levels, unlike Adderall that comes with severe side effects when used to treat ADHD.
However, since this supplement is known to help prevent mental fatigue from kicking in, it might lead to insomnia if taken later during the day. The trick is to take one or two tablets with your breakfast.
Performance Lab Mind Main Ingredients
Unlike other natural alternatives to Adderall that utilize several ingredients, Performance Lab Mind uses limited ingredients, as discussed below.
Citicoline is a natural compound produced in living cells. The highly versatile organic compound improves brain health while enhancing cognitive capabilities. By supporting phospholipids production, citicoline helps build brain cells and boost overall energy levels.
Soy-Free Phosphatidylserine (Sharp-PS Green)
Phosphatidylserine (PS) promotes Nerve Growth Factor and acts as a building block for several brain regeneration phases. PS also optimizes neural communication by signaling molecules, enzymes, and receptors that are involved in neurotransmission.
Supplemental L-tyrosine helps to regenerate brain chemicals that burn when performing stressful activities. By stimulating the release and synthesis of norepinephrine, dopamine, and epinephrine, this ingredient allows you to maintain positive moods while burning the midnight oil.
Proanthocyanidins (Maritime Pine Bark Extract)
The presence of pine bark extract helps to supply the brain with antioxidants that neutralize free radicals. This ingredient helps to promote cell regeneration and plasticity, thus boosting overall mental health.
Benefits of Performance Lab Mind
- Increases brain energy
- Doesn`t have serious side effects like Adderall and Ritalin
- Promotes alertness and overall focus of the central nervous system
- Improves an individual's logical thinking
- Promotes positive mood, thus reducing work or study-related stress
- Helps reduce ADHD symptoms
- Ideal for anxiety treatment
- Ingredients are friendly for children with ADHD
- Improves the brain's memory retention capacity
Disadvantages of Performance Lab Mind
- May lead to headaches and digestive problems depending on an individual
- High risk of insomnia, especially if you take the supplements later on in the day
Adderall Alternatives: Wrapping Up
If you are struggling with ADHD or want a medication to help boost your concentration or alertness as you work or study, you must have thought about natural Adderall alternatives. While Adderall is still a useful drug when dealing with extreme ADHD, it has potentially fatal side effects.
However, the alternatives to Adderall we have discussed in this systematic review tend to provide similar benefits to Adderall, only without the nasty side effects. The ingredients used are mostly organic, making regular or daily consumption of some of the natural alternatives ideal.
But before you decide to purchase a particular alternative to Adderall to boost your cognitive performance, it is highly advisable to consult with your doctor. This will help you buy a product that would not compromise your health or exacerbate any underlying conditions.